Reports from the U.S. Census Bureau point to a major boom in the sales of real estate properties with patios. A home’s outdoor space is often the centerpiece of its overall visual appeal, making backyards the most common new feature in recent home sales. From expansive, rolling landscapes to small, charming backyards, a little bit of creativity and the right frame of mind is all it takes to design the deck of your dreams. Homeowners from all walks of life speak to the pleasures of finding solace in the beauty of their outdoor space. And while personal pleasure is certainly important, the amount of added value that a great deck offers a home is just the icing on the cake of an awesome backyard.
Designing the deck of your dreams is a balancing act of first enhancing the features of your current outdoor space and then adding particular elements that give new life to the patio area. Personal preference is a huge factor in style, design, and the overall aesthetic, but savvy homeowners will try to remain aware of style features that are appealing to many. As a result, their home’s resale value will increase as more and more emphasis is being placed on outdoor space in today’s real estate market. But, before you dive into brainstorming, try to keep your ideas focused on timeless visual elements paired with practical structural designs. With these two focal points at the forefront of your mind, the opportunity is limitless to designing the deck of your dreams.
Below you will find an assortment of new strategies and inspiring ideas that will hopefully encourage you to move forward in creating your dream deck space:
- Use what you have! Far too many homeowners avoid redoing their deck area because they believe they need to tear it all down and start from scratch. But the real beauty of a new outdoor space lies in the ability to maximize and emphasize what you already have! Do you absolutely hate that boring tree in the backyard? Spice it up by planting some beautiful flowers around it or even trimming the leaves in a different, more appealing way.
- Think about what you love to do outside and create a space for it! Many homeowners feel the need to please others, when in reality the backyard should be an oasis for you and your family. Do you have family barbecues every weekend? Then build a large deck with room for a big table and a sizeable space for the grill, also consider the walking path to the kitchen and make it convenient for you. Do you have a green thumb? Make sure to create a space to plant flowers or grow an herb garden.
- Take advantages of varying height levels. Building a raised deck with several stairs will open up your outdoor space and allow for guests to appreciate the property easily. Think about the typical foot traffic in your backyard and design accordingly. Stone steps to the garden or a raised deck for an outdoor table will be aesthetically pleasing and efficient too.
- Add a deck canopy that matches your home’s style. We cannot say enough about how important deck awnings are for someone looking to enhance their outdoor space. Awnings for decks help to extend the living space of your house, block out the unwanted weather elements, and create a welcoming space for your family and your guests. Patio awnings and deck awnings also greatly lengthen your deck options. Are you thinking about doing a standalone deck in the back of the yard with a table? Add a retractable free standing awning and you’ll be lounging outside all night long.
- Make smart decisions when it comes to materials. Wood surfaces are certainly beautiful, but they need to be pressure-washed and sealed annually. Consider using things like composites and PVC which require minimal to no maintenance. Mixing and matching materials is also a great way to create a unique deck space. Incorporate landscape elements into the design of your deck for a winning combination.
- Consider both views. Many people make the mistake of focusing solely on how the deck will look from inside of the house. It is important to also consider how the house will look from the view of the deck. Lighting plays a big role in making the deck look appealing from any perspective. Spotlights are great to accent certain areas of the yard. Think about using decorative lighting in the trees and other landscape elements for an awesome atmosphere.
Now it’s time to put on your thinking cap and dive deep into designing the deck of your dreams. Contact our deck awnings experts in the USA or Canada toll free at 866-438-2964 or outside the USA or Canada at (305) 628-2424 or use the live help chat tool for more information on designing your dream backyard with a deck canopy!