We have a database of quality installers for our customersFind out more
Energy Saving Tips to Shrink Your Utility BillBack to All Posts
The average utility bill in the United States is $114 a month, according to recent data released by the U.S. Department of Energy’s 2015 report from the Energy Information Administration (EIA). Energy bills seem to be growing and growing with no end in sight. As the cost of living in our country continues to rise, identifying ways to save money is imperative. With the summer months approaching, homeowners must prepare to see their utility bill increase dramatically in order to keep their homes cool in those hot outside temperatures. Even worse, homes in warmer parts of the U.S., like Florida, are plagued with the constant need to run air conditioning year round.
Being mindful and efficient is one of the best methods to not only save money on your monthly bills, but also to reduce your energy consumption in general. From lighting to air cooling systems and from appliances to strategic home additions, taking a look at how your home operates on a daily basis is critical to keeping that utility bill low. Take a few moments today to walk through your home with energy savings in mind while looking out for the following:
- Check Air Conditioning Vents: vents should be cleaned regularly and kept open. Closed vents actually increase your energy costs!
- Purchase an Advanced Power Strip: this will enable electronic products to operate efficiently and will reduce wasted electricity on electronics that are not in use.
- Appliances: whenever possible, purchase appliances that are energy-efficient.
- Lighting: make sure that you are using light emitting diode (LED) bulbs throughout your entire home.
- Energy Professional: if you have the means, hire a professional to walk through your home checking for air leakage, insulation levels, and more.
- Airflow: utilize fans as much as possible to promote increased airflow in your home.
- Laundry Machines: if you can, avoid using heat by limiting the amount of clothing in each load while drying.
- Purchase an Awning: products like folding lateral arm retractable awnings, retractable patio and deck pergola cover systems, rotating louver roof systems, retractable vertical drop awning screens or retractable side arm awnings will drastically decrease your utility bill by blocking the heat and sun thus keeping your home cool.
- Paint Your Roof: it may sound silly, but research has shown that homes with white roofs required as much as 40 percent less energy for cooling compared to black roofs.
- Nightly Routine: establish a new routine of walking through your home to turn off lights, appliances, and other energy wasting electronics before bedtime.
- Buy a New Thermostat: make sure you are using a programmable thermostat to automatically adjust for your family’s temperature needs. The EPA suggests that the average homeowner can save almost $200 per year simply by using a programmable device.
- Consider a Solar Solution: while expensive initially, solar paneling is a great investment in the future of energy savings and reduction of your monthly bills.
New energy research reports suggest that approximately half of all energy used in a home goes toward a home’s heating and cooling needs. Most homeowners dread opening up that utility bill each month, and we don’t blame them. Nevertheless, the above solutions are a great way to start saving money right away. If you’re looking to enhance your home’s appearance while reducing your utility bills, we’ve got the answer for you! Contact our residential retractable awning and retractable patio cover experts in the USA or Canada toll free at 866-438-2964 or outside the USA or Canada at (305) 628-2424 or use the live help chat tool to learn more about how you can create your dream awning while saving money today!