We have a database of quality installers for our customersFind out more
How To Prepare Your Patio for Hurricane SeasonBack to All Posts
Hurricane seasons vary throughout the world, but strategic preparedness is important no matter where you live. When warm moisture atmosphere swirls above tropical ocean water a hurricane is formed. As one of the deadliest natural disasters today, hurricanes present a serious threat to coastal and inland homes and buildings of all kinds across the globe. The regions of the world most prone to hurricanes are the southern Atlantic Ocean, eastern Pacific Ocean, Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico. Coastal structures typically receive the heaviest rainfall and high winds, however, these weather forces can also damage structures that are hundreds of miles inland. As such, having a plan to protect your outdoor living space is vital.
Homeowners and building owners with substantial patio areas must be aware of the dangers that weather hazards present. Preparing your patio for hurricane season means actively taking steps to secure your outside areas. By doing so, you are proactively safeguarding your home, business and your family and business associates and, as a result, will be able to focus your efforts on getting organized before a storm hits. One of the most common factors amongst anyone who has experienced hurricane devastation is a lack of preparation. From securing loose items to making sure you have high-quality, reliable patio rain covers, having a systematized plan will comfort you and your family during hurricane season.
Whether your home or business is located on the coast or inland, keep these tips in mind when you are determining how to prepare your patio for hurricane season:
- Trim your trees: hurricane-force winds are 74 mph or greater and often cause branches and trees to fall. Therefore, be sure to not only trim your trees, but remove any damaged limbs throughout your property.
- Secure patio furnishings: remove any loose items such as potted plants, gardening and pool equipment, toys, decorative items, and any patio furnishings. Heavier outdoor items that cannot be brought inside must be tied down or anchored in some way.
- Power down: safety precautions must be taken to disconnect anything electrically powered or using gas/propane. Remember to turn off the power to any pool equipment as well.
- Waterproof pergolas: ensure that your patio rain covers are waterproof, not just water-resistant. Purchase a waterproof pergola that is able to withstand heavy rains and high winds. In doing so, you will be at ease during a storm knowing that your patio area is protected.
- Secure your gutters: make sure that the downspouts and rain gutters in your home are secured and clear out any areas that may be clogged, as debris may cause water damage to your property.
- Keep swimming pool filled: one of the biggest misconceptions of hurricane preparation is draining your swimming pool. The water in your pool actually serves as protection against flying debris and pressure that could cause the pool to pop out of the ground. Therefore, keep your pool as is or drain only 1-2 feet in order to protect your property.
Hurricane season must be taken seriously no matter where your home or building is located. A large hurricane has the ability to release energy that reaches the equivalent of 10 atomic bombs per second. In fact, hurricanes rank first in death numbers compared to any other natural disaster. As such, taking every precaution is essential. Safeguarding your family is certainly the first priority, however, your patio must not be ignored. Without adequate preparation, your patio area can be left in ruins when heavy rains and high winds are present. Retractable patio and pergola covers offer this type of protection for your outdoor space. With waterproof pergolas and retractable vertical drop awning side screens designed to keep water out, RetractableAwnings.com offers customers the ultimate solution for hurricane patio preparation.
Is your home or building prepared for hurricane season? What steps have you taken to secure your patio before a storm strikes? One of the most critical steps is to purchase a trustworthy, high-quality patio rain cover. Using our incredible Awning Finder, take a look at some of our waterproof pergola options that will fit your home or building structure perfectly. Using this tool, you will have a first-hand look at the process of choosing the best patio rain cover that will match the aesthetics of your property. Do you have any additional patio cover questions? Contact our experts in the USA or Canada toll free at 866-438-2964 or outside the USA or Canada at (305) 628-2424 or use the live help chat tool for more information on protecting your property with a beautiful waterproof pergola!