We have a database of quality installers for our customersFind out more
New Year’s Resolutions for 2018 Home ImprovementBack to All Posts
In just a few days people around the globe will prepare to welcome 2018 with a big New Year celebration. Ringing in the upcoming year with friends and family is a wonderful way to set the tone for a happy and successful year ahead. In that spirit, many people write down or think about specific New Year’s resolutions that they will try to maintain in the coming year. In fact, 45 percent of Americans make New Year’s resolutions each year. Some of the most common resolutions are losing weight, spending less money, quitting smoking, committing time to health and fitness, and getting organized. All of these resolutions are wonderful commitments to bettering yourself, but what about resolutions regarding the places you and your client’s spend the most time in?
With personal promises and pledges at the forefront of most New Year’s resolutions, people often neglect to think outside of themselves for the upcoming year. This year, when you sip your champagne, throw your confetti, and kiss your loved ones as the clock strikes midnight, maybe it’s time to shift the focus of your resolutions. January 1st is right around the corner and if you’re like most families, your “honey do list” keeps growing. Home improvement in general is something that often gets pushed aside for immediate needs and personal leisure. In 2018, we challenge you to dedicate your New Year’s resolutions to home improvement.
Home Improvement Resolutions
Even committing to completing one home improvement task a month will make a big difference throughout the entire year. We predict big things for you and your family in 2018, so start the year off strong by making these New Year’s resolutions for home improvement:
- Pledge yourself to a cleaning schedule. Things like washing windows and dusting the entire house are very daunting tasks and therefore often get pushed off to a later date. Unfortunately, neglecting to clean your house regularly will speed up the wear and tear on your home’s interior and exterior. As a result, ignoring your home cleaning chores can end up being a costly mistake in the long run.
- Paint jobs. Nothing makes a home look fresh and new quite like a great paint job. This year, pick two rooms that can really use an upgrade and commit to painting them by March. Watch as your home value increases with these small home improvements.
- Organize and declutter your garage. This is a big one for most people who have had this job on their to-do list forever. Invest in bins or other storage devices that will help to clear out all of the loose items scattered around the floor. Also consider hanging bikes racks and high shelving to make the garage space bigger for your cars.
- Step up your home’s curb appeal. Dedicate the spring time to two things to improve the front of your home’s appearance: 1) power wash your roof and 2) re-mulch and plant some beautiful flowers. Aim to complete these tasks by April and enjoy your neighbors’ jealousy of your beautiful, new-looking home.
- Invest in your outdoor living space, specifically your patio area. A retractable patio cover can create a functional area regardless of weather concerns. If your family or your guests wish to gather outside, but it is too hot or raining, a simple extension of the cover or louver rotation creates an instantly comfortable space. A patio cover can be specifically designed to serve both practical functionality and stylish decorative enhancements. Whether your outdoor living space calls for a freestanding or attached retractable patio cover, this home improvement will surely be 2018’s most worthwhile investment.
- Find the most outdated element of your home and commit to updating it by summertime. The idea of home renovation elicits feelings of anxiety, stress, and dollar signs. Taking one feature of your home at a time is a much easier pill to swallow. So, whether it’s your kitchen cabinets or all of your home’s fans, target your most outdated piece(s) and modernize this year.
- Fix your home’s indoor air quality. According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), indoor air quality presents amongst the top of all current environmental health hazards. Things such as mold, dust, and pollen create containments that may threaten the health of you and your family. This year, make sure your HVAC system is maintained, test for radon, control your home’s moisture levels, and try to reduce as many asthma triggers as possible.
- Make the switch to LED light bulbs. Everyone wants to save money and LED light bulbs are the easiest way for you to cut costs in 2018. Light-Emitting Diodes (LED) last much longer than incandescent bulbs and also are way more energy efficient. Over time, LED light bulbs have proven to save more than $150 per bulb compared to incandescent bulbs. This switch is an easy resolution to achieve, make a promise to get this done in January.
From your home’s exterior to your home’s interior, the ability to write down home improvement New Year’s resolutions and stick to them will make a major difference this year. Discuss your plan with your family and get everyone on board to committing to helping you with your 2018 home improvement plan.
A 2018 Awning Upgrade
Are you ready to wow your family and house guests with a brand-new retractable patio cover system or retractable awning? Have you committed to upgrading your outdoor living space as your home improvement New Year’s resolution? Contact our retractable awnings experts in the USA or Canada toll free at 866-438-2964 or outside the USA or Canada at (305) 628-2424 or use the live help chat tool for help in choosing a retractable patio awning that is right for you and your outdoor living area!